Saturday, March 14, 2009

Understanding Holiness

Read Deuteronomy 5:23-29


Along with two good friends, we're on our 4th lap of reading through the Bible in a year. I've grown to love God's work even more, literally can't wait to get to my daily reading time. I highly recommend it to anyone that has a desire to learn more about God, and themselves. I was reading yesterday in Deuteronomy and came across a passage that spoke to me in volumes. I'm going to attempt to condense what I gleaned in a couple of paragraphs, which could be tricky.

If I could use two words to write in the column of these verses, they would be, understanding Holiness. These verses come after Moses restates the Ten Commandments. Then he proceeds to tell the story of how these tablets came about. "He wrote His words on two stone tablets and gave them to me." In the verses that follow the "tribal leaders" came to understand that they had heard from God, "the heart of the fire" and lived to talk about it. We have experienced His awesome power and once is enough. Why should we risk it again? So, Moses was recognized as the leader/spokesman for Israel.

Starting in verse 28, God is pleased with their response. It's amazing, in their humility their came a great awareness of the Power (Holiness) of God. Their hearts were right and as long as they remained in a state of Awe, respect and holy fear, and obeyed God's commands, they would prosper. My translation says they would prosper forever!

The thought is this...how can I better understand His holiness today? What response should I have when I look into His holiness? Beblest!

No comments: